Current Grant Opportunity View - GO5137
Sea Country Indigenous Protected Areas Program Grant Opportunity
Show close time for other time zones
This grant opportunity seeks to increase the area of sea in Indigenous Protected Areas (IPAs) to strengthen the conservation and protection of the marine environment, while creating employment and economic opportunities for Indigenous Australians, particularly in remote regions. This will be achieved by developing new Sea Country IPAs and/or expanding the area of sea in existing dedicated IPAs. The program builds on the success of the existing Indigenous Protected Areas Program.
The grant opportunity is part of the Sea Country IPA Program. The objectives of the program are:
- Protect, conserve and improve the condition of Australia’s marine environment and augment Australia’s National Representative System of Marine Protected Areas
- Assist Indigenous Australians to deliver environmental, cultural, social and economic outcomes through enhancing the capacity of Traditional Owners to effectively and sustainably manage their land and sea
- Enhance collaboration between Indigenous Australians, government and non-government stakeholders to support the conservation and sustainable management of Australia’s marine environment.
To be eligible you must:
- be an Indigenous organisation or an Indigenous enterprise as defined in section 14 Glossary of the grant opportunity guidelines. If you do not have an Indigenous Corporation Number (ICN), you may provide a statutory declaration stating that your organisation is at least 51 per cent owned or controlled by Indigenous persons or the Indigenous enterprise has 50 per cent Indigenous ownership
- have an Australian Business Number (ABN)
- have an account with an Australian financial institution and be one of the following entity types:
- an entity, incorporated in Australia
- a company incorporated in Australia under the Corporations Act 2001
- an Indigenous not-for-profit corporation, council or incorporated association
- an incorporated trustee on behalf of a trust
- an incorporated association
- an incorporated co-operative
- a registered charity or not-for-profit organisation
- an Indigenous government agency or body established under Commonwealth, state or territory legislation
- an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Corporation registered under the Corporations (Aboriginal and /or Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006.
Your application must include a letter of support from an entity or entities with responsibility for representing Traditional Owners of your proposed IPA consultation area. The letter should provide support for you undertaking consultation and planning activities consistent with the consultation stage of an IPA project.
Further details on eligibility are provided in the grant opportunity guidelines.
Assessment – December 2021 and January 2022
Approval – January 2022
Contracting – January and February 2022
Earliest start date of grant agreement – 1 February 2022
From $800,000.00 to $1,300,000.00
Applications must be submitted to SCIPAApplication@awe.gov.au by 5pm (AEDT) Monday 29 November 2021.
SEA COUNTRY IPA GRANT OPPORTUNITY WEBINAR
A Webinar will be held at 3.00pm (AEDT) 28 October 2021 to provide information to assist applicants to understand the Sea Country IPA grant opportunity application process. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your attendance and to be sent a link to the Webinar.