Archived Grant Opportunity View - GO3702
2021 New Colombo Plan Scholarships Round
Show close time for other time zones
The New Colombo Plan (NCP), launched in 2014, aims to lift knowledge in Australia of the Indo-Pacific by supporting Australian undergraduates to study and undertake internships in the region. The NCP has two programs: scholarships (for study up to 19 months) and mobility grants (for short and longer-term study). Both programs prioritise internships, mentorships and language training.
The Strategic Objective of the NCP is to strengthen Australia’s regional standing by building a diverse cohort of Australian alumni with deeper Indo-Pacific knowledge, capability and connections.
The intended outcomes of the NCP are:
- increase the number and diversity of Australian university undergraduates with Indo-Pacific capability
- deepen people-to-people and institutional relationships between Australia and the Indo-Pacific region, and
- students and alumni connected with leaders in government, business and civil society in the Indo-Pacific.
To be eligible for a New Colombo Plan (NCP) Scholarship, and to remain eligible during the Scholarship Program if a Scholarship is awarded, applicants must:
- have been nominated for the NCP Scholarship Program by their Home University;
- be an Australian citizen;
- not be a current citizen or permanent resident of their Primary Location or any Secondary Location;
- be enrolled in or undertaking, until completion of all Study Components, in at least one Bachelor Degree or Bachelor Honours Degree unit at an on-shore campus of an Australian University;
- be between 18 and 30 years of age (inclusive) for non-Indigenous applicants and between 18 and 35 years of age (inclusive) for Indigenous applicants on 1 January of the round year
- have achieved a minimum 70 per cent graded average or equivalent for their undergraduate course at the time of Application, as determined by the nominating Home University; and
- not be a previous recipient of a Scholarship under the NCP Scholarship Program.
- not be an employee of the branch of DFAT that administers the NCP
During the nomination period, Australian universities nominate students as candidates via the New Colombo Plan Online website. The nomination must be completed by the nomination closing date.
Following the closing of the nomination period, the application period will open. The nominated students will receive an invitation to complete an online application form. The application must be completed by the application closing date.