Archived Grant Opportunity View - GO6009
Level Crossing Safety Research and Innovation Project
Show close time for other time zones
This Level Crossing Safety Research and Innovation Project grant opportunity is part of the Regional Australia Level Crossing Safety Program.
The objectives of this grant opportunity are to:
- support the research and investigation of new technologies and approaches to improve level crossing safety, particularly lower-cost technologies and those that are suited to regional areas;
- support the risk assessment, trial and/or introduction into use of innovative and/or lower cost level crossing safety improvements and improvements to train visibility at level crossings. This may include activities to evaluate the reliability of a technology, consider its effectiveness at addressing risks and consider any unintended consequences and how to mitigate against them; and
- provide a sound evidence base to support future decision-making around level crossings, such as understanding human behaviour around level crossings and drivers of behavioural change in order to better target safety treatments and other interventions.
The intended outcomes of the grant opportunity include:
- a greater range of lower cost options being available for stakeholders including state and territory governments, rail infrastructure managers, road managers and rolling stock operators, to adopt to manage level crossing safety in regional areas;
- the safe functioning of the integrated road-rail system into the future; and
- providing publicly available information about the most effective strategies to improve level crossing safety.
If you are not an Australian state or territory government body, you must either:
- present an activity in partnership with a state and/or territory; or
- provide written evidence from a state and/or territory government responsible for transport and infrastructure that confirms the activity being undertaken may lead to benefits to level crossing safety (a template letter will be provided in the grant application).
For further eligibility requirements, please refer to the guidelines.
Applicants can apply via the Submit Application link.
Please note, the Grant Opportunity will close at 11:59pm on 6 April 2023.