Archived Grant Opportunity View - GO4739
Natural Hazards and Disaster Resilience Research Centre
Show close time for other time zones
National Emergency Management Agency
The Natural Hazards and Disaster Resilience Research Centre ad hoc grant will establish a research centre focusing on natural hazard resilience and disaster risk reduction to support the needs of emergency service agencies and communities in preparing for, responding to and recovering from future natural disasters.
The objectives of this grant are to:
- establish the Centre as a trusted and independent voice to government, emergency managers, industry and the community
- ensure the activities of the Centre engage and respond to the needs of national stakeholders, including local, state and territory government, industry and the community
deliver a comprehensive, multi-disciplinary research
- program to meet the three overarching objectives (detailed above), centred around three research themes:
- understanding hazards, vulnerability and risk in a changing climate
- supporting a well-prepared Australian community
- using technology to improve response and resilience
- play a role in training our future workforce, including by providing postgraduate students with linkages into industry
- build on the Bushfire and Natural Hazards CRC’s research, networks and capabilities
- support the objectives of the National Disaster Risk Reduction Framework and the recommendations of the 2020 Royal Commission into National Natural Disaster Arrangements
- strengthen ties across Australia’s emergency management sector and the Australian community.
The intended outcomes of the grant are:
- multi-disciplinary research that translates into action
- research outcomes that ensure our communities have improved capability to prepare for, respond to, and recover from future natural disasters
- greater collaboration between researchers, government and the emergency management sector to support the needs of communities across Australia
- research results relevant to government priorities.
This grant opportunity is a one-off or ad hoc grant to Bushfire and Natural Hazards CRC Limited or a new public company limited by guarantee established by Bushfire and Natural Hazards CRC Limited. The Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources consider this an appropriate type of selection process considering the nature of the grant is specifically dependent on building on established research and networks in natural hazards and disaster management.
The grantee will be the Bushfire and Natural Hazards CRC Limited or a new public company limited by guarantee established by the Bushfire and Natural Hazards CRC Limited.
The grantee must provide an establishment plan that details how the centre will be set up to deliver on the objectives and requirements of the grant opportunity guidelines, including governance arrangements.
The grantee must develop a 10 year Strategic Research Plan that sets overarching strategic vision and objectives and at a high level the program of research work intended over the life of the centre. This plan should identify any key researchers likely to be involved and how research will integrate with the Centre’s education and training program. The 10 year Strategic Research Plan will be assessed by an assessment panel formed by the department.
The grantee must also develop rolling two year Research Implementation Plans that detail achievable research milestones and timeframes. The first Research Implementation Plan will form part of the proposal and will be assessed by the assessment panel as part of the application assessment process.
The 10 year Strategic Research Plan and the rolling two year Research Implementation Plans must be informed by advice on research priorities, end user needs and utilisation from relevant key stakeholders, including Commonwealth, state and territory government representatives, and experts in the fields.
From $0.00 to $85,000,000.00
The applicant will be invited to apply and submit an application through an online portal.