Current Grant Opportunity View - GO5767
Future Fellowships for funding commencing in 2023
(02) 6287 6600
Show close time for other time zones
Future Fellowships reflects the Australian Government’s commitment to excellence in research by supporting excellent mid-career researchers to undertake high quality research in areas of national and international benefit.
The Future Fellowships objectives are to:
- support excellent basic and applied research and research training by outstanding mid-career researchers to be recruited and retained by universities in continuing academic positions;
- support national and international research collaboration; and
- enhance the scale and focus of research in Australian Government priority areas.
The intended outcomes of the Future Fellowships scheme are:
- expanded knowledge base and research capacity in Australia; and
- economic, commercial, environmental, social and/or cultural benefits for Australia.
Preference will be given to Australian researchers.
A Future Fellowship candidate must satisfy the eligibility criteria as listed in the grant guidelines.
A previous recipient, or an individual who has been nominated for a Future Fellowship on three previous occasions, is not eligible to apply for another Future Fellowship. This includes withdrawn and ineligible applications.
To be eligible, the candidate must, as at the grant opportunity closing date:
- not be nominated for more than one Future Fellowship in a grant opportunity;
- have met their obligations regarding previously funded projects, including submission of satisfactory final reports to the ARC at the grant opportunity closing date;
- have an Award of PhD Date on, or between, 1 March 2008 and 1 March 2018; or
- have a PhD award date together with allowable period of career interruption that would be commensurate with an award of PhD date on, or between, 1 March 2008 and 1 March 2018. The allowable career interruptions set out, and the period allowed for each is in Table 6 of the grant guidelines.
A Future Fellowship candidate can be concurrently funded through the Discovery Program for a maximum of: one ARC Fellowship and one project as a Chief Investigator (CI); or one ARC Fellowship or project if the individual is also a Director on an active ARC Centre of Excellence or a Special Research Initiative project.
Applications for Future Fellowships don’t need to meet the project limit requirements at the grant opportunity closing date. If successful, project limits must be met before the project can start. Refer to the Instructions to Applicants for more information.
Future Fellowship funding and grant duration is four consecutive years on a full-time basis. The Future Fellowship may be undertaken on either a full-time, or a part-time basis subject to the employment conditions of the Administering Organisation and provided that the Future Fellowship does not exceed eight years from the project start date (excluding any approved periods of suspension).
From $660,280.00 to $1,178,292.00
The application must be submitted as a mature research plan presenting the proposed project ready for implementation and must contain all the information necessary for its assessment without the need for further written or oral explanation, or reference to additional documentation, unless requested by the ARC.
Applicants should note the eligibility criteria for access to other funding schemes, as expressed in the Grant Guidelines for those schemes. The ARC reserves the right to change these criteria in future funding rounds. Grant Guidelines for all ARC schemes may be found attached to the relevant Grant Opportunity.
Administering Organisations must submit Applications through RMS unless otherwise advised by the ARC.
All applications must meet the format and content requirements, including certification, as set out in the RMS online form and the relevant scheme Instructions to Applicants.
The Research Management System (RMS) is a web-based system used to prepare and submit research applications, assessments and rejoinders for the Australian Research Council's (ARC) National Competitive Grants Program (NCGP).
Registered users can log in using their email address and password at https://rms.arc.gov.au.
To request a new account, click on the Request New Account link.
(02) 6287 6600