Archived Grant Opportunity View - GO5146
Moon to Mars Trailblazer Stage 1
Show close time for other time zones
The $150 million Australian Moon to Mars Initiative (the initiative) supports Australian businesses and researchers to join NASA’s inspirational endeavour to go forward to the Moon and then go on to Mars. Investment focuses in Australia over a five-year period, commencing in 2020-21.
The initiative forms an important element of the Advancing Space: Australian Civil Space Strategy- external site 2019-2028. It primarily addresses the National and International pillars:
- to open doors for Australian businesses and researchers to access international space supply chains
- create jobs in Australia
- support the growth of industries across the economy through the development and application of space technologies.
Through this, Australian organisations will join with NASA and other international partners to bring Australian capabilities to space, the Moon, Mars and beyond.
The Trailblazer program is a major project supporting NASA’s activities to return to the Moon and on to Mars.
The objectives of the Trailblazer program are:
- develop foundation services rover solutions, capable of collecting lunar regolith and delivering it to a NASA science in-situ resource utilisation (ISRU) facility
- demonstrate the ability for Australian capability to support international missions
- inspire the Australian public
- an Australian asset will have been operated on the Moon
- improved collaboration with international space agencies including NASA
- stimulated investment in the foundation services capability
- key technologies are spun out to develop other sectors of the Australian economy
- growth in Australian space capability
- increased interest in STEM and related highly skilled careers
- galvanisation of national pride in Australia’s space activities
- increased community engagement in space activities.
You can apply if you have an Australian business number (ABN) and are one of the following entities:
- an entity incorporated in Australia and a trading corporation, where your trading activities:
- form a sufficiently significant proportion of the corporation’s overall activities as to merit it being described as a trading corporation.
- are a substantial and not merely peripheral activity of the corporation
- a Publicly Funded Research Organisation (PFRO) as defined in the grant opportunity guidelines.
If you are applying as a PFRO, your application must be a joint application including at least one eligible Australian trading corporation.Joint applications are acceptable, provided you have a lead organisation who is the main driver of the project and is eligible to apply.
We can only accept applications where you:
- provide all mandatory attachments including your proposal and your project budget
- you provide evidence from your board, CEO or equivalent that the project is supported, that you can complete the project and meet the costs of the project not covered by Trailblazer Stage 1 grant funding, and confirms you are a trading corporation where applicable.
We cannot waive the eligibility criteria under any circumstances.
Further guidance on eligibility can be found in the grant opportunity guidelines.
From $0.00 to $4,000,000.00
To apply, go to business.gov.au/grants-and-programs/moon-to-mars-trailblazer
business.gov.au provides information and advice to customers via a range of channels including phone (13 28 46), email and web chat. Contact us for assistance.