Current Grant Opportunity View - GO5294
Moon to Mars Initiative Demonstrator Mission Grants
Show close time for other time zones
The $150 million Australian Moon to Mars initiative (the initiative) supports Australian businesses and researchers to join NASA’s inspirational endeavour to go forward to the Moon and then go on to Mars. Investment focuses in Australia over a five-year period, commencing in 2020-21.
The initiative forms an important element of the Advancing Space: Australian Civil Space Strategy 2019-2028. It primarily addresses the National and International pillars to:
- open doors for Australian businesses and researchers to access international space supply chains
- create jobs in Australia and support the growth of industries across the economy through the development and application of space technologies.
Through this, Australian organisations will join with NASA and other international partners to bring Australian capabilities to space, the Moon, Mars and beyond.
The objectives of the program are:
- support Australia’s ambitions to join NASA’s endeavour to go forward to the Moon and then go on to Mars
- accelerate the growth of the Australian space industry
- build Australian space capability and capacity
- lift Australian involvement in national and international supply chains
- inspire the Australian public.
The intended outcomes of the program are:
- Australian involvement in international space programs and missions that support Moon to Mars activities
- increased growth of Australian space businesses
- an increase in Australia’s space capability
- increased exports
- increased access to national and international supply chains
- strengthened relationships between international agencies and the Australian Space Agency
- increased employment in STEM related and highly skilled fields
- increased community engagement in space activities.
You can apply if you:
- have an Australian business number (ABN)
- list the other criteria that make a prospective applicant eligible
- be one of the following entities:
- an entity incorporated in Australia and a trading corporation, where your trading activities
- form a sufficiently significant proportion of the corporation's overall activities as to merit it being described as a trading corporation
- are a substantial and not merely peripheral activity of the corporation.
- a Publicly Funded Research Organisation (PFRO) as defined in section 14: Glossary.
For a PFRO application to be eligible, your application must be a joint application including at least one eligible Australian trading corporation.
We can only accept applications where you provide evidence that you or your project partner intend to have, or support, an asset operating or tested in space by March 2025, examples of evidence include:
- a schedule indicating launch date
- letters from partners confirming that your project will support their operational spacecraft and/or
- a letter from the project manager/CEO confirming that you aim to launch the project to space before March 31st 2025.
From $750,000.00 to $10,000,000.00
The grant opens 14 March 2022 at 09:00AM AEST.
To apply, go to: www.business.gov.au/grants-and-programs/moon-to-mars-initiative-demonstrator-mission-grants
business.gov.au provides information and advice to businesses via a range of channels including phone (13 28 46), email and web chat. Contact us for assistance.