Archived Grant Opportunity View - GO2337
Junior Doctor Training Program – Private Hospital Stream
Show close time for other time zones
The Junior Doctor Training Program is an Australian Government initiative administered by the Department of Health and a key element of the Stronger Rural Health – Training – improving access to training in rural areas and the private sector through junior doctor training measure announced in the 2018 Budget. Existing Commonwealth investment in junior doctor training has been consolidated into the Junior Doctor Training Program – Private Hospital Stream (PHS) through this process.
The overarching aim of the PHS is to increase the number of junior doctor postgraduate year 1 – 3 training places in private provider settings in rural, regional and remote areas. This program will also ensure that Australian-trained international full-fee paying medical students are able to complete the requirements for general medical registration in Australia.
Key priorities for the PHS are:
• building new clinical training networks and increasing the nation’s capacity to train junior doctors (including medical interns) in the private hospital sector and in regional Australia where traditionally there are fewer training opportunities
• the provision of junior doctor training in rural hospitals through the delivery of rotations outside of major metropolitan centres to bolster the medical workforce in regional Australia
• supporting internships for international full-fee paying graduates from on-shore Australian medical schools
• increasing training capacity to develop placements for junior doctors in their 2nd and 3rd postgraduate years
To be eligible to apply private hospitals must:
• be privately owned and operated by a non-government organisation;
• have the necessary accreditation requirements in place to deliver medical internships to meet the Medical Board of Australia’s registration standard - granting general registration as a medical practitioner to Australian and New Zealand medical graduates on completion of intern training;
• have the necessary accreditation for PGY 2 and PGY 3 placements where accreditation is required;
• provide junior doctors with salaries and conditions equivalent to those which exist in public hospitals in the relevant state or territory; and
• provide, at a minimum, one rotation or 0.2 FTE per training place per year in a MMM 2-7 location, for each intern (PGY 1), PGY 2 and PGY 3 junior doctor completing an annual training place.
Submit your completed application to Grant.ATM@health.gov.au by 2pm, Canberra local time, on 31 May 2019. If you do not receive an email (including automatic reply) within 48 hours please contact the department on (02) 6289 5600.
Please only submit your application in .doc, .docx or .pdf format. Applications cannot exceed 20MB. Do not include macros, zip or password protect applications or attachments.