Archived Grant Opportunity View - GO2434
Special Research Initiative in Excellence in Antarctic Science for funding commencing in 2020
Show close time for other time zones
The Special Research Initiatives (SRI) scheme provides funding for new and emerging fields of research and builds capacity in strategically important areas. The ARC currently funds several SRIs in a wide range of research areas.
Under the Australian Research Council (ARC) Special Research Initiatives scheme, the Australian Government will support the Special Research Initiative in Excellence in Antarctic Science (SRIEAS) for funding commencing in 2020.
Up to $56 million in total funding for up to seven years, will be available to support a range of research projects
The objective of the SRI scheme is to support high-quality research which will assist in advancing Australia’s research excellence to be globally competitive and deliver benefits to the community. This extends, but is not limited, to supporting research-related activities which will respond to emerging opportunities or changing priorities.
The objectives of the SRI in Excellence in Antarctic Science grant opportunity specifically are to:
- support excellent research in identified Australian Antarctic science priority research themes;
- contribute to a coordinated and collaborative approach to Antarctic, Subantarctic and Southern Ocean research that builds on Australia’s existing capability in this area;
- build Australian research capacity in this area by supporting researchers of the highest international standing as well as high quality postdoctoral researchers and research students; and
- advance Australia’s capabilities and knowledge in Antarctic research.
An application may only be submitted through the Research Office of an Eligible Organisations listed in the relevant grant guidelines.
All individuals named in an application must satisfy the eligibility criteria for the role they are to perform as at the Commencement Date and for the duration of the Project.
To apply for less than $1 million per year, your application:
- must include at least one CI;
- must nominate a CI from Your organisation who will be the Project Leader; and
- may include one or more Other Eligible Organisations or Partner Organisations.
To apply for $1 million or more per year, your application must:
- include one or more Other Eligible Organisations;
- include one or more Partner Organisations;
- include at least one CI from each Other Eligible Organisation;
- include at least one PI from each Partner Organisation; and
- identify a Project Director from Your organisation to lead the research program (this will be your first named Chief Investigator on the application)
Funding may be sought for a maximum of seven consecutive years.
The Application must be submitted as a mature research plan presenting the proposed Project ready for implementation and must contain all the information necessary for its assessment without the need for further written or oral explanation, or reference to additional documentation, unless requested by the ARC.
Applicants should note the eligibility criteria for access to other funding schemes, as expressed in the Grant Guidelines for those schemes. The ARC reserves the right to change these criteria in future funding rounds. Grant Guidelines for all ARC schemes may be found attached to the relevant Grant Opportunity.
Administering Organisations must submit Applications through RMS unless otherwise advised by the ARC.
All Applications must meet the format and content requirements, including certification, as set out in the RMS online form and the relevant scheme Instructions to Applicants.
The Research Management System (RMS) is a web-based system used to prepare and submit research proposals, assessments and rejoinders for the Australian Research Council’s (ARC) National Competitive Grants Program (NCGP).
Registered users can login using your email address and password at https://rms.arc.gov.au. To request a new account, go to https://rms.arc.gov.au and click on the Request New Account link.